With cooler weather comes comfort food and for me that’s some hearty soup! We had a big harvest of tomatoes from our backyard vegetable garden and I put them to good use. But that’s not all-my parents gave me some beautiful cherry tomatoes from THEIR backyard vegetable garden and I also added those into this recipe. The flavor of homemade roasted tomato soup is unmatched!!
The store-bought tomato soup does not even come close to the depth of flavours of the homemade kind. I also love that you can control the amount of salt added to the recipe. Here is my recipe:
- 4-5 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1-2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 red bell peppers (seeds removed, diced)
- 1 onion, diced
- 3-5 pieces of garlic
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional: coconut milk
- pre-heat oven to 450 degrees
- in a baking tray, add the diced tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, diced bell peppers, onions, and whole garlic cloves
- drizzle with olive oil and coat vegetables
- season with onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- mix with hands so all vegetable are coated
- roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft
- let the vegetables cool down a bit
- add to blender (I have a Vitamix) and blend together until smooth
- Optional: at this point, I added in some coconut milk to give the soup some extra creaminess. (You can also add vegetable stock, but please note this will change the flavor slightly)
- serve warm and enjoy!
Save this recipe, it will come in handy for the next few cold months! Once you’ve made homemade tomato soup, you’ll never go back to the store-bought one again! Happy cooking!
Let me know if you try out this recipe! I usually reply to emails within 24 hours